Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vegan Lemon Poppy Muffins

OK if you don't like lemon, then I can't be friends with you! I am so obsessed with all citrus fruit, they always add the extra "yummers" factor to pretty much every food. 

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
As ubiquitous as your pink-haired, lip-pierced, cat-tattoo barista, these muffins are a coffee shop staple.  Who doesn't want to wake up to a bright, fresh-tasting lemon?

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup soy milk (or almond milk, or rice milk)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375.  Lightly grease a muffin tin.
    In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt.  Make a well in the center and add milk, lemon juice, oil, zest, and vanilla.  Mix just until all wet ingredients are moistened.
    Fill the muffin tin three-quarters full and bake for 23 to 27 minutes, until muffins are lightly browned on top and a toothpick or knife inserted through the center comes out clean.  When cool enough to handle, transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
Excerpted from the book Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, published by Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group.  Copyright © 2009

 I am tempted to run downstairs and make some right now!!! I think you can cut the sugar too, I never fill my measuring cup up the whole way when I do the sugar..

1 comment:

  1. These sound really good Rach! I'll have to give them a try. I love lemon too!

    ReplyDelete